Candles are a beautiful and aromatic addition to any home, but any open flame is a potential fire hazard that should always be taken seriously. According to a study by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, 85% of candle fires could be avoided if consumers followed three basic safety rules:

  •    Never leave a burning candle unattended.
  •    Never burn a candle on or near anything that might catch fire.
  •    Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.

 

Before Lighting

  • Trim your candle’s wick ¼ inch every time before lighting. Long wicks can cause dripping and flaring.
  • Straighten your wick out
  • Keep hair and loose clothing away from the lighter
  • Ensure your room is well ventilated
  • Place the candle on a stable and heat resistant surface
  • Only burn the candle for up to 4 hours

 

While Burning

  • Never burn a candle unattended
  • Never move a candle while the wax is liquefied
  • Extinguish the candle if the flame is too high or flickering
  • Keep candles away from flammable objects such as drapes, books, etc.

 


When Extinguishing

  • Use a candle snuffer to extinguish a candle
  • Make sure the flame is completely out and the ember has died down before leaving the candle unattended
  • Don’t move a candle until it has completely cooled down

 

Resources:

http://candles.org/fire-safety-candles/