Candles are a beautiful and aromatic addition to any home, but any open flame is a potential fire hazard that should always be taken seriously. According to a study by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, 85% of candle fires could be avoided if consumers followed three basic safety rules:
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Never burn a candle on or near anything that might catch fire.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
- Trim your candle’s wick ¼ inch every time before lighting. Long wicks can cause dripping and flaring.
- Straighten your wick out
- Keep hair and loose clothing away from the lighter
- Ensure your room is well ventilated
- Place the candle on a stable and heat resistant surface
- Only burn the candle for up to 4 hours
- Never burn a candle unattended
- Never move a candle while the wax is liquefied
- Extinguish the candle if the flame is too high or flickering
- Keep candles away from flammable objects such as drapes, books, etc.
- Use a candle snuffer to extinguish a candle
- Make sure the flame is completely out and the ember has died down before leaving the candle unattended
- Don’t move a candle until it has completely cooled down